There are many troubles tagged with license term you can expect while using Adobe Products, such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks or others. That applies to Adobe CS3, CS4, and CS5.5 lines with some exceptions. Whether you are using the software legally or illegally here is some tricks and advises to overcome the problem. Of course, sometimes reinstalling can fix them all, but not always. Some people dare to reinstall the OS, but that’s an extreme case. Below please see the most common three license-related issues in Adobe products — AMT subsystem failure, Error “Licensing for this product has expired”, and error #16 — and selected solutions.
§1. AMT subsystem failure
If you have seen message like the one below—fear not.
AMT subsystem Failure. The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support. — Sounds not too good, right?
There could be another one:
Licensing for this product has stopped working. You must repair the problem (I did not know I could repair the problem!) by uninstalling, etc…
Solution could be very simple for CS3 and CS4 (I guess, in Creative Suite 5 there is a different activation component, not FLEXnet): Go to Services (Administrative Tools -> Services) and check service “FLEXnet Licensing Service” — it should not be disabled! Put it to manual mode at least. This service marked as from Macrovision Europe Ltd, so odds are some nervous users could switch it off! Personally I would switch off anything from Macrovision.
Help from Adobe: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405970.html
There are few solutions proposed, check them all:
- Apply the Licensing Service Update
- Set the FLEXnet Licensing Service to Manual and Start the service
- Rename the FLEXnet data folder
- Reset your permissions on the licensing service data folder
- Reset your permissions on the Adobe PCD folder
- Remove the SQLite journaling file
- (Vista only) synchronize the virtualized and non-virtualized PCD and caps files
- Reinstall (!)
§2. Error “Licensing for this product has expired” | Products affected: CS4, CS5
I have not seen that one, but here’s the Adobe solution in case you encounter: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49485.html
They propose the following fixes:
Solution 1 (CS5): Enter a new serial number when prompted.
Solution 2: Turn the system clock back, start your application, and erase the stored expiring serial number.
Solution 3: Delete the PCD and caps database files, and re-install.
The error “The license for this product has expired” is unrelated to the error “Licensing for this product has stopped working”.
§3. Error 16
You may encounter the following message: Configuration error. Please uninstall and reinstall the product. If the problem still occurs, please contact Adobe technical support for help, and mention the error code shown at the bottom of this screen. Error 16. Additional unlicensed language packs found in the application folder. Please restart the application.
That I saw myself in CS5 and here’s a fix that worked for me:
1. Choose Start > Computer > Organize > Folder And Search Options, and then click the View tab.
2. In the Advanced Settings section, deselect the Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended) option and click OK.
3. Navigate to \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\.
4. Right-click the Adobe PCD folder and choose Properties.
5. In the Attributes section, deselect Read-Only, click Apply, and then click OK.
6. In the Security tab, make sure that Administrators and System are listed and permissions for security are set to Full Control. If not, do the following:
1. Click Edit.
2. If the User Account Control (UAC) elevation prompt appears, then follow the instructions to accept it.
3. Make the necessary changes.
7. Click Advanced.
8. In the Owner tab, click Edit and accept the UAC elevation prompt if it appears.
9. In the Change Owners Section, click Administrators.
10. Select the Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects option and then click Apply.
11. In the Permissions tab, click Edit and accept the UAC elevation prompt if it appears.
12. Select Replace Permission Entries On All Child Objects With Entries Shown Here That Apply To Child Objects.
13. Click OK and Yes.
14. Launch your Adobe application.